9981 NL Uithuizen
Telephone: +31 (0)595 - 435039
Acc. name: 'Zen River'
As Zen River Temple has ANBI status, all donations and contributions are tax deductible within the Netherlands.
To donate, simply click on the PayPal button which will direct you to the PayPal website.
If you wish to use PayPal for the Shop or Atelier transactions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. A payment request will be sent to you via email. (An additional 4% surcharge will be included for PayPal payments for shop and atelier items.)
Arrival and Departure Times
- Regular Daily Training Programme ..............Saturdays 11:00 - 12:00
- Weekend Sesshin..................................Friday 17:00 - 18:00 - Sunday 18:30
- 5 Day Sesshin.......................................Saturday 12:00 - 13:00 through Thursdays 11:00
- 7 Day Sesshin.......................................Saturday 12:00 - 13:00 through Saturday 11:00
- 7 Day Sesshin, with shuso hossen ceremony...Saturday 12:00 - 13:00 through Saturday 14:00
- Zazenkai............................................Saturday 9:30 - 10:00 - 17:45 or arrange to stay overnight through Sunday Lunch. (If travelling from afar, contact the office to arrange arrival the evening before.)
In order to create a strong group atmosphere for all participants, please arrive in time. During sesshin, please leave at the scheduled departure time.
By train from Schiphol: Schiphol Amsterdam Airport (AMS) has a railway station inside, located in Arrivals.
Buy a train ticket to Uithuizen - pronounced 'Out-housen' in English - at the Train ticket desk located on Schiphol Plaza. (Cost from Schiphol, approx 29 Euros one way) Ask for a travel itinerary: they will give you a detailed print out of the platform, times and coach numbers. The Dutch rail system uses chipcard tickets, valid for single, day returns or weekend return trips. (See "single use chipcard" and how to use it to check in and out.) You can also purchase chipcards using the ticket machines, which accept debit cards with Maestro & V Pay logo and some credit cards. Follow the on screen instructions to purchase a single use chipcard.
The 04 minutes past train is DIRECT to Groningen. This is the simplest choice.
The 34 minutes past train to Groningen requires changing trains in Zwolle.
In Schiphol there are blue signs inbetween the platforms that indicate which side of the platform the next train is arriving on. The information screens along each platform also indicate the next arriving train.
If changing trains in Zwolle, the connecting train usually leaves on the opposite platform you came in on.
Disembark the train at the end station, Groningen Centraal Station.
From Groningen Centraal Station, embark on a local train going to Roodeschool. Trains leave every half hour at 22 minutes and 52 minutes past the hour from Platform 2a or 3a until 19:22, after which trains leave hourly at 22 minutes past. Journey time 35 minutes.
Disembark at the sixth station Uithuizen. (The station before you get off is called Usquert.)
If you need a lift from the train station, call the Zen River office Tel. +31 (0)595 435039 when you know which train you are on, and someone can arrange to pick you up in Uithuizen.
Trains from Amsterdam Centraal city center leave 08 minutes past the hour (change at Almere and Groningen), and 38 minutes past the hour until 16:38 (change at Almere, Zwolle, Groningen).
Walking from the Uithuizen Train Station:
Approx. 20 - 25 minute walk to Zen River from the station.
In Uithuizen, turn right when leaving the station on to the Spoorstraat, going back in the direction of where the train came from. Take any left turn on Spoorstraat, then turn first right onto Schoolstraat. Walk along Schoolstraat until you reach the Tamoil gas station at Startstraat/Maarweg. Turn left onto the Startstraat/Maarweg. Walk straight, crossing over the J.F. Kennedylaan. Turn right onto the Oldorpsterweg. Continue along Oldorpsterweg and pass the small hill on your left. Zen River Temple is the first building on the left between the trees.
Click on the picture below for a printable map.
If in doubt, ask for Zen River Boeddhistische klooster on the Oldorpsterweg (near the Ripperdadrift housing estate).
By car: Drive up to Groningen; on the Ring road around the city follow 'Eemshaven'; on the N46 ('Eemshavenweg') after 20 minutes take the exit 'Uithuizen'. In the village at the first crossroads turn left ('Cohenstraat' - 'Kennedylaan'); after 700 meters, at the crossroads turn left ('Maarweg'), and take the first road to the right ('Oldörpsterweg'). You will find the Zen River parking lot on the left side of the road after passing the new housing development. Click on the picture below for a printable map.
What to Bring
- A pair of indoor slippers and outdoor shoes. (Indoor slip-ons are most handy.)
- Fleece sweater, or other warm clothing.
- Appropriate attire for sitting meditation; robes, samue or modest, long sleeved, dark coloured top with shirt-style collar and long, loose dark coloured trousers.(Please no T-shirts, plunging neck lines or shorts.)
- Alarm Clock.
- Bedding is provided, but you can bring your own if you wish.
- Rough clothing for garden/cleaning work.
- Hot water bottle in winter (suggestion! Also good to relieve knee pain during sesshin).
- Follow the schedule and be on time for all activities.
- Be considerate of others while talking & maintain silence when requested.
- Participate in all samu and cleaning jobs.
- Leave no traces either in communal areas or personal space.
- Show respect to those senior and consideration to those junior in training.
- To not be intoxicated by alcohol or by any other substance.
- Appreciate all utilities as precious commodities and treat them as such.
- To not draw unnecessary attention to one self.
- Respect the training methods used at this temple.
- Notify the jisha/attendant or one of the monitors for any unexpected absence from the schedule.
|Regular Schedule:||First day||€40,00|
|Following days, p/day||€32,50|
|3-day sesshin with guest teacher||€175,00|
|5 day sesshin||€245,00|
|7 day sesshin||€345,00|
|Summer monthlong sesshin||€800,00|
|Calligraphy Workshop with Kaz Tanahashi||€175,00|
|Residential training:||first 3 months, p/month||€700,00|
|3 - 6 months, p/month||€650,00|
|after 6 months, p/month||€570,00|
|Residential includes training, room, board & lodging.|
|New residents are reviewed at the end of the third, sixth & twelfth month.|
|Sunday public service and zazen||free|
|Weekly/monthly membership includes River of Zen Class,|
|Study classes, periodical zazen, teisho & dokusan|
|As all Contributions towards training (as well as donations) are tax deductible within the EU, please contact Zen River for a receipt.
Contributions can be paid by bank transfer or in cash upon arrival.